The 5 most common SEO issues found were:
- 70% of agencies had a poor page speed- the average score given was 41
- 63% of agencies had a lack of internal linking
- 57% of agencies had undesirable pages indexed by Google.
- 52% of agencies had pages containing thin content.
- 47% of agencies had pages poorly optimized for keywords
Other honorable mentions, so to speak, include:
- 33% of agencies have a poor backlink profile.
- 27% of the firms were revealed to have copied content from other parts of the web.
- 20% of digital marketing agencies had poor meta titles (especially for service landing pages).
- 20% of agencies hadn’t updated their blog in over 6 months.
- 17% of agencies had no ‘about us’ page.
After analyzing all the mistakes made by agencies, the study included a brief section on the things they’re doing well.
Agencies are doing exceptionally well when it comes to E-A-T, the study finds. That assessment is based on the following factors:
- 100% had a marketing blog.
- 100% had HTTPS.
- 29 of the 30 agencies had a social media presence.
- 100% had displayed their contact information.
- 83% had an “about” or “meet the team” page.